When Jorge Mas said this was going to be a team for the entire city and the entire the community, he certainly meant it. The Miami Herald’s Douglas Hanks reported earlier this morning that the Mas brothers met with Miami-Dade mayor and the parks & recreations top brass regarding a training facility as a county owned park. Did your mind immediately jump to Tropical Park? Guess again.
It’s hard to imagine a time where Fútbol Miami MLS might be “done” with the preparation stage. For years, Miami fans eagerly awaiting a Major League Soccer team to support have awaited a finish line. However, developments over the last week may indicate that Thursday’s meeting with the City of Miami’s commissioners may signal the beginning of the end (or, at least, the end of the beginning).
In another twist in the ongoing saga of Fútbol Miami MLS, partner Jorge Mas told the Miami Herald the group is now considering “five or so” locations for a new soccer stadium for Major League Soccer. This is a stark on-the-record departure from the ownership group’s position since late 2015.
David Beckham made a splash near Biscayne Bay on Monday in typical Miami style, high on hype and low on substance. But the energy was palpable in the Arsht Center and across Miami as the footballing legend announced that finally, yes, Major League Soccer had awarded him a coveted franchise in South Florida.
South Florida is rife with excitement following Major League Soccer’s announcement that Miami will be awarded an MLS franchise. After a tumultuous four years, David Beckham has seemingly rounded up the partners and money he needs to bring a first division franchise back to South Florida for the first time in 16 years with the Miami Beckham United group.
It has been almost four years since David Beckham first publicly appeared on the South Florida scene with a pledge that he would bring Major League Soccer to South Florida. 1,448 days. 34,752 hours. No Miami MLS.
A long time.
It appears that the “countup” clock many in the Miami-Dade soccer community may finally stop ticking.
After weeks of positive movement and reports that the long-awaited announcement was drawing near, the Miami Herald reported Wednesday that the Miami MLS ownership group consisting of Beckham, Marcelo Claure, Simon Fuller, and Jorge and Jose Mas would formally launch its team on Monday.