While it may not be El Clasico in 2018, Miami is rumored to host some major friendlies in the summer at Hard Rock Stadium. In a leaked set of games from the International Champions Cup 2018 schedule, it seems that Miami will be hosting two men’s matches in addition to the two women’s matches announced earlier in the month.
As the 2018 FIFA World Cup nears, more and more soccer-related events will be popping up around the world and throughout Miami-Dade County. One such event starts tonight, as Pérez Art Museum Miami is hosting the opening ceremony for its latest exhibition: “The World’s Game: Fútbol and Contemporary Art.”
PAMM members will get a sneak preview today, as only they will be able to view the exhibition from 10 a.m. through 9 p.m. At 9 through 11 p.m., the exhibit will be open to the public for the first time.
Andrew Das of the New York Times is reporting that the International Champions Cup, the brainchild of Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross and Relevent Sports executive chairman Charlie Stillitano, will be adding a four-team Women’s International Champions Cup competition this summer. In addition, all the games featuring top-flight women’s clubs will take place in South Florida, with a final at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens.
(UPDATE: Matt Higgins of RSE Ventures confirmed to Magic City Soccer that all games will take place at Hard Rock.)
Any time fans get an opportunity to meet legends of the game, they usually jump at the chance. That’s why April will be so exciting for many supporters in South Florida. Footballing greats Lothar Matthäus and Ray Clemence will be visiting Miami-Dade and Broward counties, respectively, to spend time with those who want to know more about their times in the sport.
According to Michelle Kaufman of the Miami Herald, negotiations are underway to bring a post-World Cup friendly match to Hard Rock Stadium featuring Brazil and Argentina.
As the culmunation of two months of Carnaval events organized by Kiwanis of Little Havana — which most famously includes Calle Ocho — the Carnaval Miami 5v5 Fútbol Challenge is taking place today at Kendall Soccer Park in West Kendall.
Stephen Ross may yet have his soccer team, just not quite the Major League Soccer outfit he may have imagined.
According to Corriere dello Sport – Stadio, one of Italy’s major sports newspapers, Ross has inquired about the ownership of legendary Serie A club AC Milan.
Most of the world has put a pause on club football until March 27 due to the International Break. That means you may be seeing more notable faces around town, as a high-profile friendly has drawn two World Cup sides to Miami-Dade, while other players come to soak up the sun.
In a way, most of the people who were told about the North American Soccer League’s decision to cancel the 2018 season were ready for that outcome. It almost seemed as if it was destined to happen after all of the events leading up to this point. Hell, the most pessimistic supporter of an NASL club could have told you the writing was on the wall after the tumultuous offseason of 2016-17. Be that as it may, Miami currently has zero professional clubs ready to play in a professional league for the 2018 season.
Fernando Morientes, Gaizka Mendieta, Christian Karembeu and Fernando Sanz will be coming to Miami next week, as Spain-based Sports and Newspaper Diario AS USA will be hosting a forum about life in La Liga.