Early First Half Equalizer Gives FCMC A 1-1 Draw

FC Miami City’s home opener was a success given all the obstacles in the way of Miami’s lone USL League Two club. An early start time (noon kickoff on a weekday), stadium equipment issues, and a completely overhauled roster didn’t stop the match from earning an average attendance. Friends and family took to Tropical Park to watch FCMC square off against newly founded Daytona SC.

First Half

The action started quickly with both clubs making deep runs on the wings. In the third minute City would make a hard challenge on a Daytona winger, giving the visiting side a free kick from just outside the box on the right flank. The ball in would find Daytona striker Creggton Charlton whose effort was blocked but fell right to John Cozine. Cozine one touched the rebound into the back of the net giving Daytona the earl advantage.

Right after play would restart, FCMC broke quickly into the attacking zone. A clever diagonal ball would find Sebastien Sirugue out wide down the left side. His cross would evade all the defenders in the box and find striker Donjet Mavras who slotted one low and under Daytona’s keeper just a minute later. Mavras’ strike would be his second of the season and in back-to-back matches for the Citizens.

City would dominate the rest of the first half having another handful of chances in the 18-yard box but being unable to string a final pass to an open man. Igor Martins would find himself with his hands in the air quite often as a semi-accurate ball would have found the forward with a chance from point blank range. 

Second Half

Craig Campbell Lines Up A Set Piece From Near Range
Craig Campbell Lines Up A Set Piece From Near Range

In the second half, the South Florida heat affected both sides as the game slowed down and the chances began to diminish. In the 87th minute, City would get a set piece from inches outside the penalty area on the left hand side. Midfielder Craig Campbell would unleash a right-footed rocket forcing Daytona’s keeper Paul Herbrecht to make painful save to keep the game level. 

Daytona would get their best chance blasting one off the near-post just moments after the save that would have beat City keeper Jeremy Coste. The match would end without another goal, 86 minutes of scoreless soccer after two quick strikers. FCMC go on the road next to visit the Lakeland Tropics (1-0-2) on Saturday before returning for a midweek clash on Wednesday against Weston FC

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.