Tempers Flare as FCMC and IMG Draw 2-2

FC Miami City came into this match already eliminated from competing for the Southeast Division title. Coming into this match with a 5-6-0 record, FCMC were sitting ten points back of the table leaders with just two matches left to play. In a home finale against IMG academy, the city boys just couldn’t muster enough to provide one last home victory.

First Half

The referee looked to try and clamp down on any extracurriculars early in the match. Fourteen seconds into the game Miami City were bursting down the left hand side when Clement Benhaddouche came in to disrupt the play. The foul would result in the first card of the night against Benhaddouche. Both teams would exchange spells of possession and the action was pedestrian until the 15th minute. With IMG trying to activate a counter, Adam Chahti was forced to foul and earned the first card of the night for City.

The game would continue with both clubs getting equal amount of looks on target for the remainder of the fist half. In the 44th minute, City would finally break the gridlock and take the lead. Derek Nembhard would come up with a loose ball at midfield and charge forward breaking a defender. The newly converted center-forward Marvin Hezel would pick receive the pass and blast the ball into the net from the edge of the penalty area.

Second Half

The early part of the second half would still break FCMC’s way as they were able to tally a second in the 53rd minute. IMG would give up a terrible foul throwing Bryan Perea and giving a free kick 23 yards out. Perea would step up and beat the keeper to the near post on an excellent effort at net.

The rest of the match would not break FC Miami City’s way as IMG dominated the chances for the next ten minutes. In the 63rd minute, IMG academy would get one back on a long ball played over the top. The City defense was caught sleeping as IMG striker Colby Agu slip past the back line and blast one home for IMG from 10 yards out.

To make matters worse, Agu would strike again in the 80th minute after multiple chances by City went unconverted. Building play from the back, Kevin Coiffic would play Agu on side on a nice flick from the IMG midfield. Agu would find himself all alone again and bring the game level. During his celebration, the substitute, Agu would earn a yellow for taunting the Miami backline and force IMG to play the last ten minutes a man down.

FCMC had one great chance to steal all three points in the final minutes. In the 85th minute, after a few more cards were issued, Bradley Fountain would slip past IMG’s backline on a long ball from his own end. Fountain would force the IMG keeper to come out and slipped it past him but also just past the back post and out for a goal kick. Tempers would flare towards the end of the game as Rassambek Akhmatov would get his second yellow for unsportsman-like conduct.

Post Match

The whistle would blow and tempers were still heavy as City players surrounded the referee for several minutes to discuss some of the decisions made. From the stands you could hear City players sarcastically congratulate the referee and make comments such as “go ahead and call your boys”. City will have two matches remaining in the season as they look to play spoiler against two of the three teams at the top of the table. We will have a FC Miami City season recap for you later this month, stay tuned!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.