Experience Outlasts Youth Fitness; Miami FC Advances To First Round Of U.S. Open Cup

The 105th edition of the Open Cup began today on a field that is normally reserved for high school competitions and high level amateur fixtures. In a setting unknown to the Miami FC organization, FC Miami City found comfort on their home pitch. Perhaps just a bit too much comfort. 

Miami FC relished every opportunity as the play-in competitor in a tournament they almost did not get a chance to compete in. Miami took full advantage of an early defensive collapse by City when a cross found Kris Tyrpak on the back post, who slotted it past City keeper Hugo Fauroux. The assistant referee would save City and Fauroux early on by judging Tyrpak and the game would remain level.

In the 11th minute Tyler Polak, no stranger to Open Cup glory, found Tyrpak with a ball down the left flank. Tyrpak was quick to locate Don Smart hanging on the opposite end of the technical area and placed a cross across the mouth of goal. With a diving effort Smart beat Fauroux and put Miami ahead officially this time.

Over the next 10 minutes of play Miami would continue to be the aggressor, penning City into their own half. With one of the few attacking efforts City would have, a ball down their own left flank would force Tyler Ruthven into a hard challenge to disrupt possession. The referee would find the tackle a touch dangerous and disciplined Ruthven with the first yellow card of the match.

In the 30th minute, City would suffer a huge blow to their defensive forces. 2018 PDL player to watch, Kevin Coiffic, would suffer an injury and be replaced by Dylan Hauss. Hauss would find himself tested early and often after coming onto the pitch, passing each test Miami threw in front of him.

Moments before the end of the first half, Miami effectively disrupted a City counter attack. As the ball was worked back to Dylan Mares potential horror would ensue. City’s Ethan Sonis would come in from behind with studs up plowing through Mares. Mares collapsed clutching his left knee leaving the Miami FC faithful holding their breath hoping that the dynamic midfielder could continue. The referee showed leniency against Sonis issuing only a yellow card despite calls for a straight red.

At the start of the second half, Vincenzo Rennella would be subbed off for newly signed Dario Suarez. Suarez wasted no time getting involved with the attack, releasing Tyrpak for a strike that would be saved by Fauroux. City would find the strength to head the other way off the back of Fauroux’s save and earn a corner in the 55th minute. The low-driven corner would pinball around the Miami technical area before landing at the feet of City’s Deshawon Nembhard. Nembhard wasted no time smashing it low and in the corner, out of the reach of Miami FC goalkeeper Mario Daniel Vega, to bring the game level at one.

Unimpressed, Miami would rush to take the kickoff and pounce down the field. Keeping City penned into their own technical area, Miami would find Tyrpak down the left hand side again. His cross would be cleared out of the box but only as far as Suarez. Suarez wasted no time opening his Miami FC account and blasted a shot into the upper 90 bringing Miami back into the lead.

Despite City’s best efforts to bring the game level again, all their attacks would end comfortably in the hands of Vega or off target. Miami would find themselves getting the best chances in the remainder of the night as Suarez missed a pair of sitters (one catching the outside of the post). Ariel Martinez and Kris Tyrpak would find their nights cut short as Sean McFarlane and Aly Hassan would get some playing time.

After the Tyrpak substitution, Miami would collect their final goal of the night. A throw-in would begin a pinball of sorts between Polak, Suarez, and Jeff Michaud. Michaud would make a cut on the outside of the technical area to open up space for his right foot. His curler would leave Fauroux frozen and ice the game for Miami FC. The goal would be Michaud’s third in three years in a Miami FC involved cup match.

The win comes as a sigh of relief for Miami FC as their first three NPSL matches all ended in 1-1 draws. The final 30 minutes really proved to be the deciding factor as the City stamina began to wither. Perhaps PDL should look at starting their season a few weeks earlier, allowing teams qualified for the Open Cup to get competitive matches under their belt before being thrown into the fire.

Up next for Miami FC is local qualifier Red Force FC. The match will be played on Wednesday May 9th, at FIU Soccer Stadium. Tickets are available through Miami FC’s website starting at $10. Be there as Miami FC looks to extend their cup run into the second round.

We caught up with manager Paul Dalglish and Jeff Michaud post match to get their thought so on the contest. Hear from the manager and the Open Cup goal scoring machine below.


  1. Pingback: WATCH LIVE: The Miami FC 2 and Red Force FC face off in Round 1 of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Magic City Soccer

  2. Pingback: FC Miami City and the U.S. men's U-20 team to play Sunday - Magic City Soccer

  3. Pingback: FC Miami City Overhaul Roster & Staff Seeking A Return To Normal - Magic City Soccer

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.